Monday, May 25, 2015

Sunday 5/25/15

When I started this blog it was because I wanted to keep myself accountable and not let myself continue to gain weight over the school year.
Before I became a teacher, my hobby was bodybuilding competitions.  My last competition was 2008 and I had won the novice class.  Starting my career as a teacher right after took its toll as I dedicated everything to learning and growing as a teacher.  My workouts, while I never actually quit lifting, were very inconsistent and I gained about 40 pounds over the last 7 years.  Wine became a weekly staple replacing protein shakes and I just hated who I was becoming personally.

Last week I tabulated one of the two shows I usually work each year.  Every year I am motivated by the dedication and determination of the athletes, but this year something was a little different.  I can't explain why or what, but it was like a switch flipped and I came out of a fog.
The past 10 days I have felt healthier, happier and more focused than I have in a very long time.  I know that hard times will come again and my motivation will drop, but I just can't get over how wonderful I feel right now mentally and physically.  It is almost like I have woken up to the person I really am.

The purpose of writing this blog post is that I need a place to write these things down so that when the going gets tough I can encourage myself and keep going.  I'm not sure if I will ever compete again.  Its a very big possibility.  However, even if I don't, I know that I want to continue to live this lifestyle for the rest of my life.

This past Saturday I watched my little sister compete in her first competition.  I love the fact that I inspired her and that we share the same love of working out.  Our dad is also interested in it and I have a secret dream that the three of us could compete in a show together one day.  


No comments:

Post a Comment