Tuesday, June 11, 2019

I was on to something...

When I first started this blog, it was just a place for me to log my workouts.  That lasted a few months and then I dropped off from posting.  On New Year's Eve of 2017, I wrote another blog post and in it was the first time I had this realization:
2017-2018
"I am glad I saved this post though, to remind myself that it is not even about looks or shape, I have to keep remembering that when I am eating clean and working out I THINK BETTER and I am a better teacher."
May 2019

It took me until March to get really going and by July I was making strides.

It wasn't until this school year that I really understood how much being fit was helping me be a better teacher.  Regular exercise and tracking what I eat (instead of mindlessly eating/stress eating) has led to the following benefits besides weight loss. 

  • Clearer thinking and the ability to be more productive.  
  • More energy to be productive.
  • Confidence!  This is key when teaching middle schoolers!
  • No sick days!  I haven't caught any cooties from my students, even when the nasty bugs were going around. 
This is not just my experience, the National Institute of Health has studies that show that exercise increases the production of a protein in our brain called brain-derived neurotrophic factor which literally supports the neuron growth and the development of new synapses! (Sleiman, Sama F et al. “Exercise promotes the expression of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) through the action of the ketone body β-hydroxybutyrate.” eLife vol. 5 e15092. 2 Jun. 2016, doi:10.7554/eLife.15092)

No comments:

Post a Comment